Best Premier League Comebacks

Newcastle United 4-4 Arsenal

5 February 2011

Newcastle produced a stunning recovery from 4-0 down to earn a draw that shocked title hopefuls Arsenal. Theo Walcott scored after 44 seconds before a Johan Djourou header and a strike from Robin van Persie put Arsenal 3-0 ahead inside 10 minutes.

Van Persie headed Arsenal’s fourth but Abou Diaby was sent off after the break for pushing Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan. Barton scored penalties either side of a strike from Leon Best, before Cheik Tiote’s long-range equaliser.

West Bromwich Albion 5-5 Manchester United

19 May 2013

Sir Alex Ferguson was denied victory in his 1,500th and final game in charge of Manchester United as Romelu Lukaku’s hat-trick inspired West Brom’s incredible comeback. Champions United went 3-0 up through Shinji Kagawa, Jonas Olsson’s own goal and Alexander Buttner’s fine finish.

James Morrison reduced the deficit and Baggies’ substitute Lukaku made it 3-2, before Robin van Persie and Javier Hernandez put United 5-2 ahead. But Lukaku’s late double and Youssouf Mulumbu denied Ferguson a winning end.

Tottenham Hotspur 3-5 Manchester United

29 September 2001

Goals by Dean Richards, Les Ferdinand and Christian Ziege put Spurs 3-0 at half-time against Manchester United.

But the hosts were destroyed in the second-half as United hit five thanks to Andrew Cole, Laurent Blanc, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Juan Veron and David Beckham.

Leeds United 4-3 Derby County

8 November 1997

Two goals by Dean Sturridge and another from Aljosa Asanovic put Derby 3-0 up at Elland Road.

Leeds not only got back on level terms but won the game, as Rod Wallace, Harry Kewell, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Lee Bowyer netted. Bowyer’s winner came in the 90th minute. Scenes.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 4-3 Leicester City

25 October 2003

Leicester made made a blistering start and two goals from Les Ferdinand and a third by Riccardo Scimeca gave them a 3-0 half-time lead.

But Wolves turned it around thanks to Colin Cameron’s double, Alex Rae and Henri Camara.

West Ham United 3-4 Wimbledon

9 September 1998

The Crazy Gang spirit was very much alive as Wimbledon came from 3-0 down to take the points at Upton Park.

Goals by John Hartson and Ian Wright (two) put the Hammers in control but the visitors hit back through Marcus Gayle’s double, Jason Euell and Efan Ekoku.

Crystal Palace 3-3 Liverpool

5 May 2014

Liverpool squandered a three-goal lead in the final 11 minutes at Crystal Palace to see their Premier League title hopes all but end – and leave Luis Suarez in tears at the final whistle.

Joe Allen’s first league goal for Liverpool and strikes from Daniel Sturridge and Suarez put the Reds in complete command before Damien Delaney and a double from substitute Dwight Gayle sent Selhurst Park wild.

Norwich City 4-4 Middlesbrough

22 January 2005

Adam Drury scored an injury-time equaliser as Norwich completed a remarkable comeback at Carrow Road. Damien Francis prodded home for the hosts before Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink equalised for Boro.

Franck Queudrue headed home, then bagged his second from close range – and Hasselbaink’s superb free-kick made it 4-1 to the visitors before Dean Ashton stabbed in. Leon McKenzie headed in on full-time before Drury sealed the fightback with a header with seconds remaining.

West Brom 3-3 Chelsea Highlights

September 26, 2020

Tammy Abraham scored a stoppage-time equaliser to complete an incredible comeback and rescue a point for Chelsea at West Bromwich Albion after they had trailed 3-0 at half-time.

In a thrilling match, West Brom looked to be heading for their first win back in the Premier League after racing into a commanding lead inside the opening 30 minutes at The Hawthorns.

A mistake by Marcos Alonso led to the hosts’ first, Matheus Pereira feeding Callum Robinson to produce a classy finish past Willy Caballero, who was starting in place of dropped £71m keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Thiago Silva, who was making his Premier League debut for Chelsea, was then too casual in possession, allowing Robinson to pounce and run at goal before doubling the lead with another impressive finish.

Remarkably, it was quickly 3-0 as Kyle Bartley was left unmarked to tap home inside the six-yard box after the visitors failed to deal with a corner.

But Frank Lampard’s side rallied after the break and Mason Mount reducing the deficit from 20 yards.

Substitute Callum Hudson-Odoi set up a tense finale with a stylish finish, before Abraham, making his first top-flight start of the season, tapped home the equaliser in the 93rd minute after Mount’s shot had been saved. Share

You may also like...

Exit mobile version