Man City 1-3 Arsenal Highlights

Emmanuel Adebayor scored twice as stylish Arsenal returned to the top of the Premier League and put an end to Manchester City’s unbeaten home record.

First Half Highlights

Adebayor set Arsenal on their way, sweeping the ball in from close range.

And Eduardo’s acrobatic turn and volley made it 2-0 from Adebayor’s clever header after another glorious move.

City replied when Vedran Corluka dispossessed Gael Clichy and found Gelson Fernandes but Adebayor sealed the win from close range late on.

Second Half Highlights

Sven-Goran Eriksson’s side had only won one of their last seven Premier League fixtures, and with their confidence looking fragile the last thing they needed was to concede early against an Arsenal team who have lost just once in the league all season.

But that’s exactly what happened as the visitors went ahead on nine minutes following a regulation free-flowing move.

Some neat first-time passing saw the Gunners work the ball out wide to the marauding Sagna whose superb first touch allowed him to outpace and outmuscle Michael Ball and get to the byeline.

Adebayor met the cross and his shot crept in despite the best efforts of the sprawling Micah Richards and Joe Hart.

And another sumptuous move from the Gunners soon made it 2-0.

Eduardo, Adebayor and Abou Diaby combined to set Clichy free on the left and his deep cross found Adebayor who picked out Eduardo.

The Croatian controlled the ball brilliantly on his chest and, with his back to goal, volleyed over his shoulder and past Hart.

City had a strong claim for offside but the visitors thoroughly deserved their lead.

However, just as Arsenal looked certain to run away with the match, some sloppy defending gifted City a way back.

Clichy tried to let the ball run out of play and was robbed in possession by Corluka and his pull-back was neatly side-footed home by Fernandes.

The goal breathed life into the Eastlands crowd but Hart made a fine save from Adebayor’s header after another surging Sagna run and skipper William Gallas fired narrowly wide following a corner.

City could have gone ahead in the opening five minutes when a fantastic chipped pass from Elano almost set Stephen Ireland through on goal.

And Martin Petrov fired wide from the edge of the box in the closing seconds of the first period.

But apart from that, Arsenal were in complete control of the opening 45 minutes and although City improved after the break, they rarely looked like getting back on level terms.

Arsenal continued to create chances and had several chances to make the game safe.

Cesc Fabregas twice went close from long range, Mathieu Flamini had a shot blocked and Adebayor was denied when Richards and Richard Dunne closed him out as he raced through on goal.

At the other end Jens Lehmann, deputising for the injured Maneul Almunia, sprinted from his area to prevent City substitute Darius Vassell getting a clean run on goal and Elano’s follow-up shot sailed over the bar.

But Arsenal sealed the win with two minutes to go when a swift counter-attack saw Alexander Hleb and Fabregas find Adebayor and the striker stroked home his 18th league goal of the season.

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. November 22, 2008

    […] Manchester City 1-3 Arsenal […]