Southampton 1-5 Chelsea Highlights
Demba Ba scored twice on his Chelsea debut as the FA Cup holders came from behind against Southampton to ease into the fourth round at St Mary’s Stadium.
Watch FA Cup third round match, Southampton Vs Chelsea highlights here.
Head to head
• Seven wins separate these clubs after 88 competitive meetings over 89 years; Southampton have won 28, Chelsea 35.
• Chelsea are unbeaten in six Premier League games against Southampton and are looking for a fifth straight victory over them.
• But Southampton hold a 100% record against Chelsea in the FA Cup, and are plotting to knock them out for the fifth time. Most recently Saints notched a 3-1 third round victory in 1981. The three previous ties all required replays.
• Southampton have failed to make it into the fourth round just once in eight seasons, and that was when they were drawn against Manchester United in 2009.
• The 1976 winners, who last appeared in the final for the fourth time in their history in 2003, have beaten Premier League opposition only once in the last seven occasions they have been drawn against them. Blackpool were beaten 2-0 in the third round at St Mary’s two years ago.
• This is the ninth time in 11 FA Cup rounds that the Saints have been drawn at home.
• Chelsea are the current FA Cup holders and boast the best recent record in the FA Cup. The seven-times winners, also lifted the trophy most recently in 2007, 2009 and 2010.
• They are unbeaten in 23 FA Cup matches (W19, D4), and have lost one of the last 34.
• Everton were the last club to knock them out, but they had to win a penalty shoot-out in the fourth round replay in February 2011 in order to do so.